Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wonderful fabrics and swatches from 19th Century (mostly) from Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum (Warning, many pictures)

I want them all!!  These are from various printers in the US

American Print Works, Fall River, MA.  The American Printing Company became the largest producer of printed cotton cloth in the United States by the early 20th Century. The company was established in 1821 by Colonel Richard Borden and Major Bradford Durfee. The American Print Works was established in 1835 by Holder Borden. It employed several thousand workers at its peak during World War I. (Lizzie Borden, the famed alleged axe-murderess in 1892 was the great-granddaughter of an uncle of Colonel Richard Borden).  Most of these were curated at Smithsonian in 1939.











Cocheco Print Works/Cocheco Mills, Dover New Hampshire.  Cocheco Mills was purchased by Pacific Print Works in the early 20th century. The following were swatches in a Printer's Sample Book dated 1885














Old Pacific Print Works, Lawrence, Massachusetts


Hope you enjoyed these--had a ball looking (and finding!!) these at the Cooper Hewitt website.

2 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my, my, my! I cannot wait to meet you in person!!! Sally, these are sensational. I'm so glad the Smithsonian is allowing you to research these treasures. Interesting, the one you marked Simon Bolivar, I have always thought to be General Lafayette! I looked them both up and it clearly looks more like Bolivar. Oh the things I have learned form you already!

Anonymous said...

I love shirtings and would dearly love to have many of these, and the blue shuttlecocks, too! Thanks for sharing the pictures.